Monday 4 February 2013

Content Wars!

Back when I was heavy in the blogging game -- from August 1 to August 10 of last year -- my brother gave me lots of snark for my buzzword-heavy talk about "media," "content," and "TV is dead."

This week brought further evidence that my predictions for analogue television were straight cookiez in the oven...Netflix released "House of Cards" to not-shabby reviews, and Apple cut a deal for the HBO Go multiscreen service. 'Twould seem that the real 'house of cards' is my brother's faith in old-school media.

As Netflix's chief content officer Ted Sarandos notes, the point of House of Cards -- and future 'binge shows' -- is to fundamentally change the paradigm of television storytelling. Normally I'd think that's a douchey business objective, but Sarandos is a community-college dropout who clawed his way through the home-video store ranks to become Hollywood's biggest disrupter. That unexpected resume has gotta be exponentially more frightening for old-media giants to stare into -- like IBM in the 1980s when they found out they were getting their ass handed to them by an acid-dropping, shoe-less maniac.

Corporations are people, after all -- they fear what they don't understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment